THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA TORONTO NOTIFICATION TO STUDENTS
Due to the swelling number of cases relating to the coronavirus (COVID-19), Canadian universities/colleges have either shut down their on-campus activities or shifted to online classes. The following is an advisory from The Consulate General of India Toronto issued on March 22, 2020, for Indian students who may be affected by such decisions.
- Check with your institution on how to avail essential services such as student health insurance, international student services, etc.
- Students are advised to reach out to their respective institutions to seek clarity on study permit extension and how the online mode of class delivery could impact their course credit and visa status
- Although most colleges and universities are requesting students to move out of Residence, international students may not be in a position to do so or return home due to travel restrictions. In such cases, they would need to fill out the Residence Extension Request form (available with each institution) explaining their individual situations. Most colleges so far have given encouraging responses. However, if your institution cannot provide a viable solution, it must be brought to the notice of the Consulate if that institution is under its jurisdiction.
- As of now, Canada has closed its borders to foreign travelers. So, in order to remain updated regarding local situations visit https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid19.html for more information.
- All plans to travel to India from Canada would have to be set aside for now as India has barred all international commercial flights from landing on its soil till March 29, 2020. For more clarifications regarding travel advisories issued by the Government of India regarding this matter, do refer to https://www.mohfw.gov.in/.
- Indian students are advised to register with the Government of India’s MADAD portal to receive regular updates. You can register on https://portal2.madad.gov.in/AppConsular/user/RegistrationBaseAction?request_locale= en&userType=Student
- If you experience the COVID-19 symptoms such as dry cough, fever, and difficulty in breathing, it is advised that you isolate yourself and use the self-assessment tool available on https://ca.thrive.health/covid19/en to know what to do next.
For all other emergencies, students can reach out to the help-line numbers of the Consulate at +1647-668 4108