Have you ever applied to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and been rejected? Did you think the choice was unjustifiable?

CIC Officers are bound by the guidelines and directions laid out by the Canadian government. They are taking after written procedures, including fairness rules. With regards to appealing a choice made by a CIC Officer, visa officer or the Immigration Division; you might be able to appeal   to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) which is one branch of the Immigration Refugee Board.

Who can appeal

There are three distinct categories for appealing:

To begin with, if your family sponsorship application was rejected, the sponsor may appeal the choice if there are enough reasons to appeal. The bases behind the appeal are additionally called “Ground for appeal.”

The second class is a removal order appeal. If that you got a departure order, deportation order, or exclusion order, it might be possible for you to appeal the removal order. You should be a permanent inhabitant, a foreign country with a PR visa, a secured individual or a tradition refugee to appeal such a decision.


The third class for the appeal is a permanent inhabitant who got a decision from abroad that they neglected to comply with their residency obligation. Permanent occupants must guarantee they spend 730 days (two years) physically appearance in Canada within every 5 years timeframe.

Grounds for request

There must be an acceptable explanation for the appeal to take place.

As indicated by the principles set up there are three grounds for appeal:

  1. A mistake in law or fact;
  2. A principle of normal justice was not observed; or

3) There are enough humanitarian and compassionate reasons (generally included best interests of a kid/kids) to defeat a negative decision.

Your appeal won’t be heard at the IAD unless you have adequate evidence to file under one of those ground for appeal.

Who cannot request?

Appeal cannot be made if you have been discovered inadmissible because of natural criminality, organised criminality, secret activities or violating human or international rights.

More so, outside nationals who have been denied a visa, work permit, or study permit may not appeal those decision.

Shouldn’t something be said about misrepresentation?

On the off chance that you have been found to be prohibited based on misrepresentation on your immigration application, you can just appeal to the IAD if you are a sponsor’s spouse, sponsor’s common based law accomplice, or a sponsor’s kid.

Deciding whether to appeal

A choice to appeal the IAD ought to be considered deliberately. Time and cost must be considered. The due date to file the Notice of Appeal is usually within one month from accepting a decision in Canada or within two months if you live abroad.

If you fall into one of the three categories discussed above (sponsorship, residency commitment (for a decision made overseas) or a removal order), and you feel satisfied you have justification for the claim, then contact an immigration lawyer to assess your case and help you through the procedure. The IAD is a superior court of record and is antagonistic by its nature; you ought not likely show up unrepresented.

Reply comment